This tutorial will provide you with the required tips if you are struggling with Sprint, Verizon, Vodafone Netherland NL or any other CDMA iPhone 4s unlocking with Gevey sim.
First of all, an iPhone 4s supports both GSM and CDMA network. However, an iPhone 4S from a CDMA network like Sprint, Verizon or Vodafone NL is configured to pick CDMA network first. This is called Preferred Roaming. All CDMA iPhone 4S has few files in it’s operating system which is configured with Preferred Roaming List (PRL) that forces the iPhone 4S to look for those CDMA network first before trying to connect to any GSM network. And, that’s where the problem starts and lot of people trying to unlock a CDMA iPhone 4S with gevey sim are struggling. So, what should you do to stop your iPhone from looking for CDMA network from PRL and connect directly to the GSM network you want it to? Answer is straight forward…..you need to disable CDMA modem of your phone by removing PRL files. Once you are done with disabling CDMA modem, you can proceed with the normal gevey unlock instructions. Here are the steps you should follow before you try to unlock your CDMA iPhone 4S with gevey sim:
1. Jailbreak your iPhone with Absinthe or Redsn0w,
2. Once jailbroken, connect your iPhone to your computer and open iFunbox or any other iPhone file manager of your choice,
3. Go to var/wireless/Library then delete file “carrier_310VZW_20404_11.2.plist”. Please note that this example file name is for a Verizon iPhone, in Sprint iPhone the file name will have something like SPRNT instead VZW in it,
4. Go to System/Library/Carrier Bundle/iPhone delete folder “Zeppelin_US.bundle” and “ZeppelinDAS_US.bundle”. Again, this folder example is from a Verizon iPhone, Sprint iPhone will have a different name accordingly,
5. Delete your sim card carrier bundle in the same folder (if you have Sprint iPhone, delete folder sprint_bundle. In case your iPhone does not have this folder, just skip this step). That’s it.
You are done with disabling CDMA modem of your iPhone and it’ll not register to any CDMA network automatically. Now you can proceed with the normal gevey sim unlock procedure. I have personally tested it with Sprint and Verizon iPhone 4S and it works perfect.
Please note that if you are trying to unlock a Verizon phone, you also need to delete Vodafone NL related files along-with Verizon files . Similarly, if you are trying to unlock Vodafone NL, you need to delete Verizon files as well along-with Vodafone NL files.
These are initial steps to rule out any incompatibility issue. Now once you have performed these steps. move on to our next tutorial on How to unlock CDMA iPhone 4S locked to Verizon or Sprint using Gevey AIO sim.